Electrotherapy (or Electro Physical Agents) is an umbrella term which includes three main categories of therapeutic modalities; the electrical stimulation modalities, the thermal agents and the no-thermal agents.
Evidence in the literature suggest that when electrotherapy is combined with other physiotherapy modalities can increase the effectiveness of a given treatment. There are very few occasions where electrotherapy used as a standalone treatment is the most effective intervention.
Following your initial assessment and depending on your symptoms, your physiotherapist may recommend some of the following Electro Physical Agents modalities, usually in addition to other evidence-based treatments like exercise and manual therapy.
- Pulsed Shortwave Therapy (PSWT)
- Continuous Shortwave Therapy (CSWT)
- Microwave Therapy (Diathermy)
- Interferential Therapy (ITF)
- Probe LASER
- Diode LASER (Sonacell Photron)
- Progressive Treatment Units (incl. Faradic muscle stimulation)
- Infra-red / radiant heat treatments
- Biofeedback Systems Dual EMG